Many types of thermoplastics are suitable to be vacuum formed. Thermoplastics have numerous favorable characteristics:
- Recyclable and environmentally harmless
- Low weight
- Easy to shape
- Easy to process
- Easy to assemble
- Highly impact resistant
- Chemical resistant
- Wear resistant
All of the above are characteristics that should be taken into consideration when deciding material of choice for your design/product.
Thermoplastics should be considered instead of thermos sets, metals etc. whenever the requirement of the material, design consideration,
cost expectations and other criteria leaves an opening for this.
We mainly work with the following material:
- ABS – The most widely used thermoplastic. Has a good combination of mechanical and chemical properties, as well as great flexibility in color and surface finish.
- A less expensive variant of ABS, with some reduced impact resistance.
- ABS/PC – An ABS quality with enhanced mechanical and temperature resistant properties.
- PMMA – Frequently called plexiglass. Transparent plastic with good impact resistance and easy to work.
- PC – Also called unbreakable plastic; has very high temperature resistance
- TPE – Thermoplastic elastomer that mixes high rubber impact strength with thermoplastic stability.